Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Brown Field

Brown Field is located along the US/Mexican border in southern San Diego County. It got it's start as a US Navy auxiliary field during the second World War, and eventually sold to the City or County of San Diego.

Now, the field is used for private aviation, flying schools, US Customs checking flights from Mexico, and more than occasionally, the US Military, especially the Marine Corps. Due to the people who bought homes around Miramar, and then complained about the noise, The Marines will often send units to the air field for training. I have been fortunate enough to check often and have seen The Sharpshooters, the Death Rattlers, and the Snipers. The Occasional Air Force C-130 rolls in, along with a Navy plane who I believe is doing parachute drops of Navy SEALs. There are also National Guard Blackhawks, and Navy Seahawks almost every time I go.


On Friday, the 1st of February, there was one Navy Seahawk flying and a new squadron for me, the Red Devils, whom I had just met several of their pilots earlier in the week at Miramar. Along with the Red Devils, the Sharpshooters were flying some plane in as I was leaving. I just love this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment